A pretty decent first person shooter of 2017. The combat is very challenging and requires appropriate strategies. Some of my tips:
- In case of a sudden enemy encounter, press mouse wheel to go to the favorite wheel menu that pauses the game and gives you time to select the most suitable weapon or ability.
- To fight mimic and regular phantom: use gloo gun to freeze them, use psychoscope to scan them, hit with pistol or kinetic blast.
- In psychotronics there is a morgue with a locked door. An easy way to enter the room is: break the window, mimic a small object, and roll in.
- After completing the side quest Psychic Water, drinking water from the fountains in office rooms increases a large amount of psi and a small amount of hp. Don’t forget to take advantage of this bonus.
- The first half of the game is especially hard. Use a combination of silenced pistol, gloo gun, combat focus and kinetic blast.
- The second half of the game is much easier. (Ab)use mindjack, machine mind in tandem with psychoshock.
- In a side request you can choose whether to kill Dahl or incapacitate him (removing his last neuromod). Use the stun gun to do the latter.
- Enemies are regenerated each time the player reenters a map that has been cleared before. Do not try to eliminate all enemies as it will deplete the ammunition or psi points very quickly. This is especially true for the second half of the game. Instead, mind control them temporarily and run away.
I would rate this game 7/10.
- Careful thinking and combat strategies are required, which makes this game stand out.
- Plenty of good ideas implemented by the development teams that allow the players to play in their own way. For instance, mimic matter ability and gloo gun.
- A nod to Bioshock/system shock. They use my favorite font, Century Gothic, the same with Bioshock.
- Graphics glitches such as flicking shadow, low quality texture in mid distance. In certain areas such as in the reactor room, the fps may drop abruptly to 20 or lower. The graphics is not very impressive even under the “very high” setting.
- Hacking (particularly level 2) is a painful experience for PC gamers that use a regular keyboard. The control is simply bad.
- The NPCs are not very well made. They lack facial expression. They are not good looking. The texture and shading is rather coarse.
- Similar to Bioshock Infinite, when the player is sprinting, the mouse sensitivity is reduced by design, which I hate very much.
- The ending is rather anticlimactic. I don’t find it satisfying. This is also similar to Bioshock Infinite, which I personally think is an overrated game.